Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Shining Pearls of Wisdom

by Kevin Stoddard

Recently I had the opportunity to visit the Wallace all Faiths Chapel at Chapman University in the city of Orange, California. TAKE VIRTUAL TOUR While there, I was struck by a fabulous blue glass installation. The piece itself was aesthetically pleasing, but what I found most moving were the words inscribed therein. The artist is Lita Albuquerque and some of the words - arguably the most profound of them - are hers.

The inspiration of this experience was overwhelming and compelled me to pay homage to Lita with my own continuation of her original beautiful meditation. I present it here beginning with the prose that sparked my muse so deeply...

I Am Convinced…
By Lita Albuquerque

“I am convinced that we are to know the language of the stars as a new vocabulary. As we study them they will speak to us as words now do and we will string them into new configurations, into new musicality.”

I Am Further Convinced…
By Kevin Stoddard

I am convinced that we are to know the language of the winds as a new vocabulary. The breezes shall then share their profound secrets as they caress our faces and knowingly tickle our chimes.

I am convinced that we are to know the language of Mother Ocean as a new vocabulary. As we study the currents we shall hear the voice of Neptune as he sings out his briny song, as he beckons us drink from his tide-pool of wisdom.

I am convinced that we are to know the language of the trees as a new vocabulary. As we study them, we will come to understand that they are ancient and that we can best appreciate there unfathomable age by cutting them down and counting their rings… and those rings will, in turn, speak to us in a new vocabulary and so on, and so on, and so on, and… you get the picture.

I am convinced that we are to know the language of rocks as a new vocabulary. But we must listen very closely, for as we all know, rocks tend to be very quiet… and it will be hard to hear them over all those trees complaining about being cut in half.

I am convinced that we are to know the language of dogs as a new vocabulary. And as the canines before us, we will explore the world not just with our eyes, but also with our olfactory organs. And we shall honor the creatures that have passed before us by rolling in their pungent carcasses.

I am convinced that we are to know the language of dolphins as a new vocabulary. Not just as an exchange of clicks and whistles, but as a real connection on a personal level. Like – “What troubles you, Oh Sleek One?” And the dolphin would say – “You still allow professional sports teams to use us as mascots.” Or perhaps - “I just don’t’ get all the bad vibes about having sex with the filter intake. I mean, it’s there… right?”

I am convinced that we are to know the language of robots as a new vocabulary. I know, I know – we haven’t even perfected robot technology yet – but humans are already able to dance like robots, so… why not? Why not, indeed?

I am convinced that we are to know the language of foreigners as a new vocabulary. I envision books written on this topic, and perhaps classes taught in our public schools. We must dare to dream big.

No comments: