Monday, June 4, 2007

The Thrill of the Chase

by Leroy Nemmy
There are several places around the World that are special to me. There's that little brook near my granddad's farm where I learned how to swim, there's the trail up the back-side of Rock Mountain where I first saw a bobcat, there's that concealed corner of my roof where I can often times see into my Asian neighbor's bedroom and there's that vacant lot where my father taught me the gentle art of hunting.


Now, I know what you're probably thinking; "Damn Nemmy has gone all sentimental and soft on us!" Well, I must admit to certain tender feelings and most precious of all is the joy of sub-urban big-game shooting. In a crazy world that can seem oh-so-topsy-turvey, there is nothing like the calming refuse to be found in stalking game from your own back steps.


A RICH AND NOBEL HISTORY


Not so long ago, this venerable sport was not a sport at all, but a way of life and means of sustenance. My what a long way we have come… or have we? Seems everywhere you turn these days there’s some ninny admonishing “Don’t do this! Don’t do that!” Well I have one question for you nervous Nellys: Up Yours!




In the series of articles to follow, I will instruct readers in the pursuit of this great sport. I will cover safety and strategy, lore and legend and in the end I hope to make the world a better place by making hunters out of one or many of you.


Good Shooting to all!

No comments: